This weekend I visited some family that had recently flown in from Dubai. The topic came up of video conferencing and how it has brought the family closer together.
As technologists, we sometimes forget how much technology impacts people. It is one of the reasons why I pursued a profession in information technology. By helping my family keep in contact over long distances it shows the power of technology to bring people together.
If your PC does not have a camera and you are not using an iMac with a built in camera then the product I recommend is Logitech’s Quickcam Pro 9000 (retail USD 99.99). I have used Logitech’s products in the past and they are solid products that are well thought-out and function as advertised.
I recommended the Quickcam Pro because of its ease to install and set up. My mother-in-law was more then able to install on her 6 year old computer. She was up and running within 5 minutes. Quickcam has true plug-and-play. No drivers required to get started.
Quickcam has a few nice features that I found nice:
1. It has a small foot-print but is not cheap in construction.
2. It has rubber grips that prevent it from sliding and the ability to raise or lower the camera manually.
3. It has auto focus and lighting features which improves video quality and a built in microphone.
4. Last, the Quickcam software has numerous functions that truly enhance the overall video experience.
5. The video quality is great and surpasses the quality that other webcam products offer.
If your family is not video conferencing then you are missing out. Get started today!